Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kitchen Basics 2: Pots & Pans

From Life Take 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome back to part 2 of a series of articles that I am writing called Kitchen Basics. About 2 weeks ago, the first article was posted on Basic Tools Needed in a Kitchen and I will be posting the follow-up articles about every other week until we are done. So ….. onto what else you never knew you needed!

When I moved out on my own, I head for my local discount retailer (more than likely Target) and walked up and down the kitchen aisle gathering things that I would need for my first kitchen. Over on the Pots & Pans aisle …. There are several chooses. Stainless steel, Teflon, cast iron. Do I buy a set or buy each pan as I need it? Sure, I thought some were of better quality than others but I am working on a budget. I need the best I can get for the least amount of money. I don’t want things burning and sticking to the pan and I HAVE to have something. Nothing is not an option. I grabbed a box of Tfal or something similar and called it good.

Fast forward, many years down the road (and no I am not telling you how many!) Chef John is in my kitchen again. I am watching him prep for another cooking class. The first class of 20 kids will be descending upon my home in about 20 minutes. Chef John is unpacking ….. PANS???!!!!

Okay … so what is wrong with MY pans?? Yep…. You know I asked. He hemmed and hawed but in-between classes I finally got my answer. In short … my pans are okay. They get the job done but are essentially worthless to a chef. They don’t cook evenly and Teflon is a big no-no.

So what do I need?? I got out a piece of paper and pen, after all I KNEW my set needed to be replaced. Might as well replace it with something “Chef John Approved.” First rule: No Teflon. They need to be Stainless-steel preferably All-Clad. All-Clad is the brand name. You will hear Chef John mention that a lot according to my notes. Unfortunately, my budget cannot afford All-Clad. Don’t worry – there is help available! : -)

He gave me a list of pan sizes that every kitchen should have.
· 1 quart sauce pan with lid
· 2 quart sauce pan with lid
· 3 quart sauce pan with lid
· 12 quart frying pan with lid
· 8 quart omelet pan with lid
· 12 inch sauté pan with lid
· 8 quart stock pot with lid
· 5 quart kettle

Bonus Items:
· 12 quart stock pot
· 8 quart wok
· Anything else that comes in your set

I don’t think I had half of these items in my kitchen. I set out to find something that was in my budget and meet Chef John’s requirements. I found several things that I thought would work, called and got a no. Finally, at Sam’s Club, I ran across the Wolfgang Puck Pots & Pan set for $99. It had most of the things in the list in it or very close to it, was stainless steel, and I could afford it. Called up Chef John, he came down to look at it and said yes … that will work! Can anyone guess what I got for Christmas last year? Hint: Chef John is no longer unpacking pots & pans in my kitchen.

The sad news is that no other affordable sets meet his requirements. I have looked. According to our chef, a decent set of pots and pans will run you about $300. A great set of pots and pans can run you around $900. And a professional set of top of the line high-quality can run thousands.

About every 10 years, you will need to replace your decent set of pots and pans. A great set can last you 15 or so. A cheap set (like my original one) needs to be replaced every 3-5. A professional set … well some of these have a life-time warranty on them. If you take care of them properly, you will never need to replace them.

Speaking of caring for your pots and pans properly, there are a few rules. Everyone of which I had broken, I am have now been retrained in the kitchen in this area.
1. NEVER put your pots & pans in the dishwasher. Always hand wash to prevent damage to the heating elements. Some of the more expensive brands cannot be submerged in water. Read the directions for your set.
2. NEVER stack your pots & pans on inside the other. They will get scratched. Then things will stick. Preferably, use one of those pot racks and hang them up for safe keeping. If not … set them on a shelf with nothing on or under them. They need there breathing space.
3. If possible, dry your pans immediately after washing and put them away for safe keeping.
There is some special cleaners you can purchase to help increase the life of your pans. Taking care of them properly will sure an easier cooking time, less mess, and you won’t need to replace them as often.

Next time, we will talk about knives. Ah…. Another interesting topic. Hide your wallets … this one will cost you and there is no alternative.

No comments: