Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kitchen Basics 1: Tools Required!

From Life Take 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many of you think you have a well stocked kitchen? You are probably shaking your head yes just like I did. I bet you are wrong!

About once every 3 months, I have an executive chef come to my house to teach kitchen skills to my children and other homeschoolers in our area. Chef John is amazing and loves to work with kids. One day, I got up the nerve to ask him why he was 1) always carting in things to the kitchen 2) why he kept asking me if I owned … and was shocked when I said no and 3) what do I really need in my kitchen. After much beating around the bush, I found out my kitchen was severely lacking according to his standards. I know it needed help but never realized how much help we were talking about. Now I do! Chef John sat down with me and we made a list of the things every kitchen should have in it.

1. Kitchen Aid Mixer -- the expensive $225 model. The most expensive item on the list. He claims no kitchen can function successfully without it and has even demonstrated how his $225 mixer is better than my $20 hand-held version. Long story short -- the machine can keep mixing while you are cleaning a dozen raw eggs off the floor that the children knocked off the counter as the youngest was trying to help and the older ones were playing tag in the house (despite the fact that they had been kicked outside earlier. It was hot so we were told. It was only 84 outside!! Wait till it hits 100 then lets talk!)
2. 3 1/2 Qt. Quisnart -- this is a food processor for those who were as lost as I was when I saw this on the list.
3. Set of 3 Wooden Spoons -- can be different sizes, different handle lengths, or all the same. You just have to have 3.
4. 2 Sets of 3 Heat Resistant Spatulas -- you can purchase these at your local kitchen store. You will need both the kind you use for mixing in baking and the kind that you use for flipping pancakes. Different sizes are nice but not necessary.
5. Set of Pots & Pans -- All-clad is the preferable brand for this, however, there are other options. But we will talk about this item in another entry at another point in time.
6. Knifes -- another discussion best left for another day and entry.
7. Stainless Steal Mixing Bowls -- You will need a set of these. Sets are usually somewhere between 4-6 bowls but can have more. Preferably with matching lids.
8. Hand Mixer -- and no .... not a $20 version like I have. Spend a little more and get a quality one.
9. Whisk -- from the kitchen store not the $2 grocery store version.
10. Wok -- not sure what I will ever use one of these for but okay fine. Chef John says he will show me why when I get one. I have one .... he has yet to demonstrate but he has been very busy with his new restaurant and cookbooks that are scheduled to be out soon.
11. Silt Pat -- for those who are confused (like me) . . . . this goes on a baking sheet under cookies, pies, and other things to ensure even cooking.
12. Roaster -- must have a rack and lid with it.
13. Stainless Steel Measuring Cups -- All-clad is a good brand for this. You will need a 2 cup as well as a set (which usually includes 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup measuring cups).
14. Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons -- You will need a set of these. All-clad has a good set.

This is his list. I have created my own list – I thought he was missing a few things. Maybe I am wrong. Who knows? These, however, are items *I* can’t live without in my kitchen. I know, I know muffins from a box, spaghetti from a jar, and barbequing is not cooking. BUT they are fast and easy. : -) Did I mention that I am a whiz with my Crockpot? Okay … onto the list!

1. Colander -- You need one of these for straining those store bought noodles you are cooking for your dinner.
2. Corkscrew and Bottle Opener – How else are you going to get the wine open to cook with? So many recipes use some form of alcohol for flavoring. I need some way to open the bottle!
3. Cutting Board – I know I am going to need one of these. If I am remembering correctly I believe that a wood one is best. Several of them. You will need 1 for meats and one for fresh veggies, fruits, and herbs. You should never use the same cutting board, even if washed, for these things.
4. Grater
5. Can Opener
6. Coffee Maker
7. Crockpot
8. Toaster
9. Ladle
10. Slotted Spoon
11. Metal Tongs
12. Oven Mitt – I would recommend at least 2 of these. Chef John uses a towel but I am not that brave.

One of the most important things that you need to remember when shopping for these items is the motto “you get what you pay for.” Over the years, I have learned, the hard way of course, that spending a little more upfront saves you a lot in the end. If you spend $7 now on a spatula … you won’t be replacing it every year or two as you would for the cheaper $3 version.

This is the first part in a series I am working on called Kitchen Basics. By the time I am done and we have all gone shopping, we can invite an executive chef over to visit without any complaints. Use these lists for gift ideas, help your college-bound students set-up their first home, or just teach your little ones what they need in the kitchen.

No comments: