Monday, August 25, 2008

Wall Word Worm

From Life Take 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I created this worm for a fun way for my son to "see" what he knows for reading. There were days when he would have "confidence issues" -- believing that he couldn’t read, didn’t know what the word was, etc… So I came up with the idea of making a worm of all the words he knew. Every time he came across a new one – I added a circle to the wall. His enjoyment in reading grew as did the length of our worm and now whenever he is having a “confidence crisis” he simply goes to his wall of words and can see all that he has accomplished.



To make your own, you will need both sets of patterns below as well as a list of words. I made a list of about 900 words that we discovered in the first 2/3 of our K phonics program. After that – I gave up. There were simply too many words to add and I had run out of room. Please feel free to use my list, create your own, and make it as long as you like. Printing the pattern on cardstock works best.



My son enjoyed this idea so much, that I am thinking of making a spelling word worm next year. Every week when his new spelling list is out – we will add the new words to the wall. We also played games this year with our worm prior to hanging it up. Be creative!! There is a lot you can do with this little guy. I am hoping to get pictures of ours up soon – in our family photo area.

Here is a great twist on this idea from Sharon. She calls it a Reading Caterpiller. On each bump of the body she lists a book that she has read to her son (for those unable to read yet) or the story that he son read to her (for those who know how to read). The goal is to make it as long as possible by the end of the year. She starts over every year on her son's birthday. You could choose to start at the beginning of your school year. This sounds like a great game!! You could even have siblings race each other if competition is as much of a factor in your home as it is in ours!! I can't wait to start this with the boys!! Thanks for the idea Sharon!!

Word Worm Head

Word Worm Body

Word List

No comments: