Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Preparing to be a Military Wife

I have been trying to figure out just what it will be like to become a military wife. Those that know me best assure me I will be fine. That the boys and I will strive. I always make the best of everything and am looking forward to a few more years at home with my crew. I love the idea of possibly homeschooling them again for awhile before returning to civilian life and the rat race that it has become.

But others who have "been there done that" have cautioned me against it. Saying I don't know what I am getting into. The costs associated with it, the things that I will miss, the closeness of relationships now experienced. I have been researching and trying to prepare but to be honest, I just don't know where to begin.

I ran across this poem today and thought I would share it with all of you. It says a lot about my beliefs that I have always held. The wifes, husbands, children, families of the officers also selfishly give all for us and this country each and everyday. We should be thanking not only our soldiers for the sacrifices they make but also their families. For without any of them, where would we truly be?

Memorial Day weekend is coming fast. It's just a few days off. I encourage all of you not just to spend another fun week bar-b-queing with your families. That is a fun thing to do. But please, take the moment to share with your children what this holiday is truly about. Those that gave their all for us.

No comments: